This message is from: "Beaver Dam Farm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello Everybody from Beaver Dam Farm in Nova Scotia --

Arthur and I were sitting in front of the wood stove having our afternoon chai - which is something that's become a habit this winter. -- I started to tell him about my idea of Virtual Evaluations, and much to my surprise (because he really is an old cumudgeon), he thought it was a great idea. == Even Brilliant == He remembers about 26 years ago, when Bob van Bon told everybody at the Woodstock, VT show (and first U.S. Evaluation) that the most important thing we can do in North America is to "identify" and "inspect" our foals. -- Well, for some years now, the NFHR has required identification in order to register. First it was bloodtyping, and now DNA. -- That's a big step! -- But, there's never been a real attempt at Inspections. -- Yes, there are Evaluations at some places across the country, but think about it . . . . How many people bring foals? -- And isn't it the foals that need inspection the most? -- Van Bon thought so!

Anyway, I really was surprised that Arthur didn't pick my idea to pieces, which is his wont. -- But, he didn't. He thought it a very workable project.

We were talkling a little bit about the possible logistics. (Please remember that I said "possible"). -- Arthur thought the whole thing very workable.

* The horse owner would apply to the Registry to do Virtual Evaluations on his own property.

*  He would be sent applications for each horse

* He would also be sent instructions on exactly how he must present each horse for the camera. These could either be written or on a DVD.

* A veterinarian would be required to be on site during the filming. The vet would certify that the horse's teeth were correct and also the genitals for males and females. -- He wouldn't have to stay after that part was done.

* The inspection (evaluation) would go exactly as it's done in a live Evaluation - with the exception that the gaits would be judged in free lunging.

* Three copies of the inspection on DVD would be mailed to ??? Probably the head of the Evaluation Committee -- or, to the NFHR.

*  Three judges would judge and record their scores and comments.

*  The scores would be averaged.

* The scores would be communicated to the owner, and recorded in The Record Book -- just as in a live Evlaution. But, with a notation that it was a Virtual Evaluation.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

I see this mostly for conformation and gait evaluation, which to me, is the most important --

The advantages of Virtual Evaluations is that owners could get all their youngstock evaluated. This would enable them to make important decisions in a timely manner. -- Decisions like - to geld or not to geld. -- To keep a filly for breeding, or to sell to a performance home. --

Decisions like - Was this a good cross (mare & stallion) or not? -- Sometimes a judge will tell you not to ever breed that mare to the same stallion. Or, the opposite.

I hope other breeders and owners see the simplicity and value in this idea, and will back it by notifying the Board of Directors.

Kind Regards,  Carol Rivoire

Beaver Dam Farm Fjords II, Ltd.
Phone: 902-386-2304  Fax: 902-386-2149
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Raised by the Sea in Health and Tranquility"

Visit our NEW Riding Vacation page on our website today!
http://www.beaverdamfarm.com/pages/riding-vacation/index.html
.