This message is from: "Skeels, Mark A \(GE Healthcare\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

It may be that the Fjord breeders forum  would be a more ideal place to
hash these things out, verses the general fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com
forum.  Maybe where this whole thread about genetic pool depletion,
yada, yada, yada should have started to begin with.

Personally I see maybe 20-30 years ago our stallion/ breeding pool may
have been more genetically limited, and concern for this sort of thing
may have been more valid back then.  But I also see us going the right
direction,  More blood lines, more diversity,  and the family tree going
horizontal verses vertical.  10 years ago I occasionally saw
father/daughter  Mother/son breeding, but not much then,  more common
though was some Grandparent/Grandchild breeding. And I think that was
because of the lack of either genetic variance in breeding stock,
geographic location, or just people that didn't want to pay $1000
breeding fee, but wanted to make a buck or have a cute little baby.
Unfortunately the people I saw doing it were the then big time breeders
and not the 2 horse shows. They had 8 mares, and they were gonna have 8
foals to sell. Now I rarely hear of it and the guidelines to stay
registered prohibit this sort of thing today, if it is enforced.  Any
how, a good direction here in the USofA, a true positive trend.

I think education is the key, especially for new horse owners/breeders.
Showing them how to read the registration papers/ family tree etc,  and
the NFHR guidelines regarding breeding.  I think most people want to do
right by genetics, as well as get a good quality, sound, mentally stable
horse when they breed. Others just look at the bucks.

Also remember education is a on going process and we must all continue
this path thru life.  I'm not to proud to say I still learn things,
every day.  Just like reading these forums.  I figured it was sorta nice
to have my brown stallion and mares always produce greys.  Well at least
6 so far.  Anyhow I thought it would be a plus such that if someone
wanted to breed their grey stallion to my grey mare's, but I learned
that this could possibly produce a undesirable KVIT.  Still don't know
what that is all about,  I have heard about a "lethal white" but not
sure if that is a KVIT or not?  Still learning and need to learn more on
this.  If two greys could produce a KVIT,  why couldn't two Browns?
Could two of the same of any color?  And what is so bad about a KVIT
anyhow? Is it just a color gene thing, or something else that will
handicap the horse?  I need details in plain English.  That's how I
learn best.

Maybe, as a source of education, the breeders group could come up with a
couple pages on good breeding guidelines, which would be given or sent
to each new owner of a registered breeding capable Fjord, either as the
seller or as paperwork that would come with registration papers when you
register a new horse under your name.

Just my 2cents, and that may be all it's worth.

Mark in sunny, somewhat dry, but the rain's a comin, Helena Montana