This message is from: "Mike May, Registrar NFHR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

At 09:00 AM 2/5/2005, you wrote:
This message is from: "starfirefarm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I was not around for the writing of the NFHR breed standard, so I do not know whether the wording of the statement about white stars was purposeful or an oversight.

I was around for it. If I remember right we followed Norways thinking on it at that time. The no white on stallions in Norway is a fairly recent change. The rule in Norway has to do with a license to breed also. We don't as of yet license stallions or any fjords to breed.

Currently, white markings are not required to be reported in the registration process of the NFHR.

Actually they are. The registration form asks for "Tatoo, Brands, Microchip number or Other ID Markings"

One only has to send in a side photo of the horse, no frontal photo with the forelock aside to indicate whether or not a white star exists.

This is true we do only require 1 side view photo.

I think it would also be beneficial to indicate on the horses' registration papers, as well as on the pedigree site, as to whether white markings exist, to help folks better research their intended breedings.

That is in fact indicated on both the Registration Certificate & on the pedigree search if they are reported to me on the Registration application or any other way for that mater. For instance take a look at the horse recently mentioned by Sue - Scotia Suprise:

http://www.nfhr.com/ponyweb/ponyweb.cgi?horse=6155

Should horses not be registrable with the NFHR if they have white markings? I don't think so. We have a DNA testing requirement to determine whether the horse is pure fjord, and to indicate it's parentage. That, to me, is sufficient.

I agree they should still be registerable as long as it is proven by DNA that they are purebred Fjords. The stallions with white stars make really nice geldings.

Mike

Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry
Mike May, Executive Director & Registrar
PO Box 685
Webster, NY  14580-0685

Voice 585-872-4114
FAX 585-787-0497