This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This message is from: Lois Berenyi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Of all my fears related to returning to riding this was one I had not considered. Apparently between age 50 and 62 my lower back and hip joints had seized up. Now my fear is that I will not be able to get off (of my own choice) if I had to.

If anyone knows of exercises specifically to help this inflexibility I'd like to know of them. I have not encountered this "disability" in any other activity of normal life.

My defense against all the people who want me to risk life and limb.....and put my extra 50# on a mare who can't talk and give me her opinion...is that I love the horses, always have, the same as my dogs.

Half of the horses at the barn where I board are not ridden. I respect most the people who don't ride, but still come out and give their horses attention. Several are older retired horses. One horse can't be ridden due to any injury and his owner comes out every week and does clicker training with him - they both have lots of fun and the horse still thinks he has a job. I don't think I'd be very interested in riding if the horse care and ground training were not part of it as like you I love just interacting.

Stay solid in your conviction that you are the best one to judge how you should interact with your horses - enjoy them anyway you can.

When I went back to riding four years ago after six years off for a surgery and recovery, etc. I had an embarassing start. For my first lesson, they had a 16 hand thoroughbred all tacked up and ready to go and a little flimsy 2 step stepstool for me to get on. I couldn't begin to get on her! Luckily they brought out a 14'3 or 15' quarter horse and I somehow was able to pull myself on her. I couldn't ride in a dressage saddle because I didn't have enough hip and lower back flexibility. What helped the most to loosen up my hips and back was riding- I bought my owner solid three step mounting block and with time I was able to mount and dismount comfortably-without having to lie down on her back to swing my leg over. I still use a large three step mounting block with my Fjord because it is better for my knees and his back. Good luck

--
Genie Dethloff and Finne
Ann Arbor, Michigan