This message is from: "starfirefarm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi all,

I generally work behind the scenes and don't follow the list much. Beth does
that for us -- but she mentioned that the Record Book was a topic of
discussion so I've read a few posts and thought this might be a good time for
me to jump in for a quick word.

First -- for the folks that only make it to the first paragraph of these
emails...
                Please -- SUPPORT THE PROJECT BY BUYING A RECORD BOOK ...or
two, or three !!!!!

When the Record Book II was undertaken, the BOD said it would support the
project but that it would only print the number of books that were
pre-ordered. If they stick to that, be sure you don't miss out !!!!   I don't
think the ordering process has been worked out yet -- as soon as it has, I'll
make sure someone puts that info to the list. If the sales are strong, then
there will be more support for upcoming Record Books and if the economics are
favorable, I think the books could be printed more frequently. The 4 year wait
was due more to economics than an inability to get the data together into a
book format. I personally feel very strongly about having a professionally
printed version of the data. I also support an on-line format and would like
to see the data integrated with the pedigree site (I've even offered to help
with that effort). Perhaps we can figure out a way to provide earlier results
on-line and then follow up with a printed version every 3-4 years.

I sure appreciate all the support I hear for the Record Book II.  Wait until
you see it!  The photography in this book is much better because each
evaluation hired someone to take conformation shots of each horse. A good
picture often allows you to see the conformation of the horse better than some
of the more amateur shots we had last time around. There is just a wealth of
information -- you'll be able to follow many horses as they progress through
their performance tests. There are a small number of horses who have achieved
the highest performance rating possible (S1 G1) -- all of it is documented for
your browsing pleasure!!

And... contrary to popular belief, I am not doing this by myself.  I admit I
am at the center of the effort because I am doing the book layout and am
entering the data from all the evaluations. But... Artilces are being written
by members of the Evaluation Committee, Mike May has provided invaluable
support in my quest for the most accurate data possible (though, mistakes are
bound to happen), Sophie Fiedler has helped coordiate the entire effort and
most recently, Ann Sullivan of Connecticut  stepped up and volunteered to help
with the proof reading. So, as with the last edition, this is really very much
a team effort.

The goal is to have something ready for print in late Spring and with any luck
in folks hands by early to mid-summer.  The articles are still being written
and I haven't quire finished entering the 2004 evaluation data. As was
mentioned earlier, the book does cover 12 evaluations from 2001 to 2004 and
should be close to 200 pages -- which is twice as many as the first record
book.

We're all working very hard to get this book into your hands. As the risk of
being redundant --

PLEASE,  SUPPORT   THE   PROJECT -- these books make great gifts and you might
want to buy two in case your first one gets worn out.  I'll bet there are more
than a few of the first Record Book that are a bit well-worn, eh?  And....
Don't wait for a Second Printing -- it's a miracle that there is even a First
Printing.

Sandy

--
Starfire Farm
Beth Beymer and Sandy North

"Remember, a horse can tell you a lot of things, if you watch and expect it to
be sensible and intelligent."
Mary O'Hara - My Friend Flicka