This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> "Gail Russell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> I am hoping someone knows this one for sure.  We have steered away from
> all maples whose leaves turn red and all maples named acer
> rubrum....because of possible toxicity to horses.  Does anyone know if
> the problem is only in the acer rubrum maples.

According to the October 2004 issue of EQUUS, pp.88-89,

  Of the hundreds of varieties of maple trees found in North America,
  only one---Acer rubum, called both red maple and swamp maple---has
  been implicated in the poisoning of horses.  [...]

  Incidentally, other trees referred to as "red maples"---including the
  Japanese red maples (Acer palmatum) and the "Crimson King" cultivar
  of the Norway maple (Acer planatoides), which has red or maroon
  leaves---are not considered toxic.

The article goes on to explain that the problem is complicated by
hybrids between different species of maples.  The article discusses
several Acer rubum hybrids, and says,

  Although no one has studied the toxicity of these trees in
  particular, they too are likely to be toxic, or at least it is a
  wise precaution to treat them as if they are.

  Anthony Knight, BVSc, MRCVS
  Colorado State University
  Fort Collins, Colorado

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon