This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Carol,
Fjords and drafts usually show lower PCV's than a lot of other breeds.  but
25 IS low..my Bjarne, when he had the shoulder infection and surgery (staph
infection) had a long course of antibiotics..which dropped his red cell
count.  So something like that could be happening.

Another thing to check out is EPSM, for the stiffness, lameness, etc.
check out Dr. Beth Valentine's articles on the Rural Heritage Website, EPSM
is quite common in draft breeds, and found in many other breeds as
well..including Fjords.  EquinePolySaccharideMyopathy. EPSM is a muscle
disease  in which carbohydrates are not properly utilizd, and the diet
change adding oil and reducing the grains and other carbohydraes is
necessary. from Dr. Valentines article:
http://www.ruralheritage.com/vet_clinic/epsm.htm
"The muscle disease Equine Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy (EPSM) has been
confirmed or suspected in over 100 draft horses, includin Belgians,
Percherons, Clydesdales, Shires, Haflinger, Norwegian Fjord, Irish Draught,
Friesian, draft crosses, and a draft mule. This newly-recognized disease,
under research at the College of Veterinary Medicine at Oregon State
University, has likely been around for hundreds of years. It has been
identified in many breeds of horse, but appears to be particularly common,
severe, and difficult to detect in the draft breeds."
Other articles can be found at:
http://www.ruralheritage.com/vet_clinic/index.htm

There is also a very good discussion forum:
http://www.ruralheritage.com/messageboard/virtualvet/index1.htm
Cehck out the archives.

Jean in cold and rainy Fairbanks, Alaska, no snow yet...

and I went