This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We live in the foothills of the mountains here in So. California, and we have
tons of coyotes around here.
When we first moved here, I kept losing my chickens constantly and I would
see the coyotes in our yard with a chicken in its mouth.  I would run after it,
but they just leaped over our 5 ft. chain link fence, as if it wasn't even
there.
This never happened at night, but always in the mornings.  I would see them
in our yard at 10:00 am and after, so we never had the problem at night.  And
they were always alone.
Sadly, they got one of my little poms about 9:30 am on a Sunday morning.  We
were home with the doors open and yet, this horrible thing happened.  The poms
are never allowed out in our front yard now unless we are right there with
them.
Last year I came upon a coyote on a dirt road below us at 1:00pm, and he was
eating a dachsund.  There wasn't much left of the dog, but the head was still
intact, so I  carefully removed the collar so that I could notify the owners.
Not a very pleasant task, but I would have appreciated it if someone would
have notified me if it was my dog.
They would run through our horsecorrals and we have miniature horses, but
they never have been a threat to them either.  The minis will even chase them
if
they come in there.
We haven't seen them for a long time now, but then all of a sudden they will
re-appear.  So I never feel totally sure that they wont re-appear.  We still
have two chickens left and they have made it for three years now.
Rondi in So. Calif.