This message is from: "Joe Glick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Valerie, your approach to driving training might be acceptable to some
trainers, but the sound of it really scares me. I'll start by explaining my
driving training method and then I'll explain why your method scares me.

First I'll harness the horse completely. If he accepts it, I return him to his
stall and let him get used to it for a couple hours. Unharness him and wait a
day before the next session. If he accepted the harness, he's ready for Step
2, that is leading him around with the harness on him. Step 3 is ground
driving, that is walking behind the horse and guiding him with the lines. When
he starts, turns, halts, backs and stays standing on command, and doesn't
spook from anything, he is ready for Step 4. Hitching is Step 4. I prefer
hitching to a heavier vehicle with good brakes. Either a two or four wheel
vehicle. Not too heavy, but heavy enough that when I go on the brakes that I
can stop the horse. I will hitch him in an enclosed area just large enough for
the horse and the vehicle. If he is uncomfortable being hitched I'll wait a
while till he calms down. If he doesn't calm down, I'll unhitch and try again
the next day. Once he's comfortable being hitched I'll have someone open the
door and drive forward at a walk. I like to drive in a large open area, so in
case he does spook that I have plenty of space to get him back in control. I
don't let him trot the first time I hitch. Once he starts, turns, halts, backs
and stays standing on command, and doesn't spook from anything, I will let him
trot. Don't do more than one Step per day. Some Steps can be done in one day,
but some Steps take days or even weeks. Keep each training session around 30
minutes long.

Now, the part that scares me is walking beside a hitched horse. If the horse
takes off, there is no way of stopping him. You risk being run over by the
vehicle. If the vehicle is too light, the brakes won't have enough stopping
power.

This is just my opinion, you will have to use your own judgment or ask your
trainer.

Joe Glick
Glick Family Farm
Denver, PA