This message is from: "Norsk Wood Works" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This message is from Phillip Odden.

Perhaps character better defines the qualities good or bad  in horses and
foals as opposed to temperament or disposition.

So Carol, do you think the foal arrives with genetic baggage with regards to
character or is the foal a blank sheet of paper so to speak being influenced
by its environment and those who control it. There must be a mix of genetic
and environmental influence.

Further what behavior do you look for in a foal just weaned that would
indicate good character?

In my experience it is important to promote an atmosphere of trust and respect
on the farm. I know the horses will arrive at a level of hierarchy or
dominance within the herd. But if one horse rains terror and causes the entire
group to be uneasy and jumpy I will isolate the over-dominant individual. It
is kind of like regime change, kinder and gentler. With the bully contained
the rest of the herd feels better and seem easier to work with.

 Last winter I let the bully, (a Dutch -bred athletic mare that ruled with an
evil eye, a quick hoof, and spade teeth,) have her way with the herd for a few
months. By spring they were all pretty jumpy. It took half the summer with
plenty of green grass to sooth their spirits. I found the horses less trusting
while that mare was in charge. When I isolated the mare form the herd they all
seemed to feel better including the boss mare.