This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Well, my four fjords live together OUTSIDE even in -40 F with a run-in
shed.  I used to put shavings in the run-in but that just encouraged the
mares, especially, to pee there and the concrete-like mixture of ice and
shavings would build up...actually became more pee-ice than shavings, so I
don't put shavings in any more.  One year I piled shavings over the septic
leach tank, which is in the paddock, thinking to insulate it from
freezing...That became the pee spot all winter.. which defeated the
purpose. LOL (now I pile manure there, a small mountain of it! it works!)
I suggest you can put a small pile of shavings out in the corral at a spot
you want them to pee and they will use it..mares, especially, to keep from
spattering their legs.
Of course we do have a situation here that the pee spots just build up ice
all winter, only thawing out in the spring break-up.  Frozen poop balls can
be raked up periodicaly, unless new snow-fall covers them.  It is a mess in
the spring break-up.  The first winter I got Adel, she had access to the
one stall and separate paddock and she peed inside the stall, creating an
ice mountain!  I didn't have rubber mats, so it glued the shavings to the
wooden floor.
On the other hand, since it does stay frozen, normally, until breakup, the
Fjords stay nice and clean all winter!

Jean in Beautiful Fairbanks, Alaska, snowyu wonderland but sunny (later)
today...-15 this morning

   they were all LOCKED OUTSIDE. ( Yes it was Dec. in UTAH, and very
>cold, snow ect.....) are you KIDDING ????? They were happy as clams. (
Fjords
>right ? ) They are born in Norway, in the snow, some of mine came from
Minnesota,
...<snip> ................unless you live in Alaska ( Jean ! )
>or Nova S. ( Carol ) Im thinking that their winter comfort is more for you
>than them !
Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]