This message is from: Lori Albrough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Mike May, Registrar NFHR" wrote:
> >Did you know that the albino does not exist in the horse? What people call
> >albinos in horses are simply white horses. When albinism occurs in the horse
> >it is termed "lethal white" because the foal dies in utero. If one does make
> >it to term, it dies very quickly.
>
> No I have never heard this.  Anyone else?  Brian J???
>
> So is it a White dun then even though it doesn't have any of the "Dun"
> markings?
>
> Or is it a "White Horse"

Mike - I would say that horse is NOT a white dun, and the term albino, while
not scientifically correct, would be the commonly used term. I personally
would use the term cremello for these white, blue-eyed, no dun-markings
horses.

According to the article "The Colours of the Fjordhorse" by Tor Nestaas, as
presented at the Norwegian Judges conference: [note uls dun = white dun]

"The gene for Dilution, Ccr, is the factor which gives the uls dun and
yellow dun varieties. It can also occur in the genotypes of grey horses. In
double, CcrCcr, this factor gives white and wall-eyed horses. These white
horses have light blue irises, and are therefore not real albinos. In
everyday language, such horses are called albinos, and that expression is
also used here."

and in another part of the article:

"The different kinds of dun colour have varied in numbers within the
population of Fjordhorses through the times. Among the earliest registered
Fjordhorses in the Norwegian Stud Book, the uls dun was the dominant variety
of colour. This colour was also called 'borket'. Uls dun came in disrepute
because at the time, no one knew how the different colours were inherited.
So uls dun was bred to uls dun, and that resulted some times in white and
walleyed foals."

Lori