This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 Mary Thurman wrote:

Sadly Line has only produced
>three white duns in her lifetime - all three by stallions she was bred
>to in Norway.  Since coming to N.A. she has only produced brown duns.
>Her daughter Stella, and granddaughter, Stina, seem to produce white
>duns(both are white dun), but the black disappears in many of them in
>the third generation.

I am anxious to see the picture of the yellow dun.  Anita Unrau has called
at least one of the "all white" offspring of Stina a "yellow" (Anvil's
Solomon)  but I wonder if he has the scattered black hairs in mane and tail
that my filly Anvil's Adel has (also a daughter of Stina.)

 Stella's son Anvil's Solvaktig, owned by Duane and Nancy Trupiano (still
on the list?)  is all white with pale gold marking on his legs,a pale
dorsal stripe and tan hooves,..I don't know if he has yellow or gold hairs
in his mane, or the scattering of black hairs like Adel has.  Maybe Nancy
can tell us?  If he has the yellow or gold hairs in the center of his mane
he would possibly be a yellow. I have picture of Solvaktig which I can send
to anyone interested.

I think Anvil's Stina had several white offspring without the black
stripe..whether or not they had the scattered black hairs in the mane and
tail that Adel has is something else.  Adel has striped but mostly dark
hooves and black skin. She has the lighter gold or hazel eyes.

If you look at the chart at the bottom of the "colors" page you will see
that the Uls dun or white dun were very popular at one time with 48% of the
stallions registerd in 1857-79 were Uls dun and 46.8% of the mares
registerd in that period where also the white or Uls dun.  I understand
that this color fell out of favor due to the fact that breeders would breed
two Uls duns together and get blue eyed whites or albinos as they did not
understand the genetics of color.  http://www.nfhr.com/Colors.htm

Jean in Fairbanks, Alaska , another beautiful sunny warm day, (70 degrees?)
with 18 hours 25 minutes of sunlight! (and lot of mosquitoes)
Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
[EMAIL PROTECTED]