This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- Julia Will <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This message is from: Julia Will <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Just a few brief tidbits about Norway, 1999.  It was
> the 50th anniversary
> of the Norges Fjordhestlag (the registry) so special
> things were planned to
> celebrate.  On Wednesday there was a parade in the
> lovely village of Alhus,
> nestled between mountains on the banks of a Fjord.
> In the parade was a
> Fjord of each color...brown dun, red dun, grey dun,
> white dun and the
> rarest...yellow dun.
  The yellow dun mare named
> Faxsi is 18 years old and
> quite famous as one of the few (count them on one
> hand) yellow dun Fjords
> in Norway.  She has never produced another yellow
> dun, dispite being bred
> to a number of different stallions, much to
> everyone's disappointment.

Julie,

I was doubly excited to read your post about the 50th anniversary
parade.  The yellow dun mare, Faxsi, that you saw in the parade is a
daughter of my old white dun mare, Line.  The sire was Trajan,
according to David Klove.  How exciting to hear that Faxsi is still
around and representing the breed!  Too bad that she has not produced
another yellow dun.  Line has never produced another one either - she
was never bred back to Trajan again.  Sadly Line has only produced
three white duns in her lifetime - all three by stallions she was bred
to in Norway.  Since coming to N.A. she has only produced brown duns.
Her daughter Stella, and granddaughter, Stina, seem to produce white
duns(both are white dun), but the black disappears in many of them in
the third generation.

Sounds like the Norway trip was great!  Let us hear more when you have
time.

Mary, in wet western Washington
===
Mary Thurman