This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dear Kate,

I am a Fjord owner that has experienced the stumbling that you discussed.
After checking with vets and a very experienced farrier, we came to this
conclusion. You can help a lot by proper shoeing, but it really is a
conformation issue. The horse that stumbles a lot tends to be straighter in
the pastern, and this coupled with a lot of weight that they can carry up
front, can contribute. Some Fjords have a neck that is set lower and it is
more difficult for them to balance. One of my Fjords has stumbled since he
was a baby, and he has had years of flat work and strengthening exercises,
and he still stumbles. His full brother stumbled so badly at the canter that
he went head over heels with his owner at a dressage clinic. This horse was
paying full attention to his rider and he was in a groomed arena.

I have another Fjord, from a different breeding, that has NEVER stumbled and
is so wonderfully surefooted, I will ride him in any type of footing, wet or
dry. He however, is built differently, with more suspension and a very strong
hindquarter.

Stumbling is very dangerous, and I hope Fjord breeders become aware how
important good movement and conformation are for saddle horses.

Elaine