This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Arthur  Rivoire)

Hello from Carol Rivoire at Beaver Dam Farm in Nova Scotia -

We have three mares to foal out this year.  Holly (Solar) was the first due
on April 29th.  Sunday morning (the 25th) I was doing the chores with our
handyman, George.  Holly had spent the night in the foaling stall deeply
bedded in bright, clean straw.  George checked the stall for a foal, and
then let Holly out to eat her hay with the other two mares.  I started the
feeding, and sent George up to the "Nursery" with a bucket each for the
three pregnant mares.  Five minutes later, George was leading a horse to
pasture and I was following with another when he yelled at me, "Put that
horse back, Carol, and come up here."  I did and found Holly had produced a
very big foal right in the mud and manure of the Nursery Yard.  She'd been
out of that carefully prepared stall for all of ten minutes, five of which
she'd been eating.

Well, we shoved clean straw under the foal, let them be for half an hour,
and when he finally got to his feet, guided him into the stall with Holly
following.  The other two mares never came near.  Maryke watched from a
distance, and Stine ate her hay with her back turned.

This colt is a full brother to BDF John Arthur and BDF Magnum, both members
of the "Fabulous Fjord Quadrille" in Colorado.  He's also a full brother to
BDF Polestar, going soon to Wisconsin as a prospective breeding stallion.

We've followed the Dutch alphabetical system of naming each foal crop,
and this is our "Q" year.  I was planning on skipping over to "R", but have
decided to stretch  to find three "Q" names.  We're thinking of BDF QUASAR
for this bruiser of a foal.  Everyone on the farm is voting for that name.

Funny thing is, I looked in vain for the word "quasar" in our old Webster
dictioinary, printed in 1966.  No such word at that time. Found it in a new
Canadian dictionary.

Best Regards,  Carol
Carol and Arthur Rivoire
Beaver Dam Farm Fjords II