This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        This is from <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> AKA Alex Wind, Shawsville, VA where
it is
pouring buckets and new streams are running in the pastures. We are at the
headwaters of the Roanoke River. The fjords are soaked but grazing. When I
got my first Fjord in May of 1993, we already had horses of the common
persuasion and they seemed extra curious and chased Techla around and around,
but it finally calmed down. She could have belted the heck out of the little
Welsh mare who was lead horse at the time, but she preferred to just run.
When they come together,
and are already buds, and there is nobody to challenge them, its much
different.
I try not to sell mine preferring to see them die of old age than to sell
them down the road to God knows what treatment or neglect, as has been my
experience the few
times I thought I had found "a good home." I must admit that as a group,
Fjord owners are the most benevolent and concerned horse owners I have
encountered.
        I will have to tell some of those stories of cross county traveling
visiting Fjord farms, but not this AM, later. I would enjoy attending
workshop by that American Indian guy; it's probably in the West somewhere,
right? Details please? Still would like to find pairs harness used, cheap in
fairly good condition. I am always overwhelmed by the protocol that
accompanies carriage driving; i.e., collar with a
this, chest strap with a that, black for formal, russet brown for informal.
That harks back to the days when a new carriage costed $200.00, and one could
afford to have several, for different occasions.  I know that represented a
bigger sum that it does now, but it was a necessity then and people weren't
also buying cars. I'm just glad there is enough of a market now that the gear
is semi-availiable, if not very affordable.
I'm sure it was hard for the few die-hard enthusiasts in the 60's to find new
equipment at any price. I am fortunate to have personally known Violet
Windmill, and seen her private collection of horse-drawn vehicles, in
Warrenton, VA in the 60's. I wish I had known then what I would be into now;
I would have paid more attention.
        Just some rambling thoughts on a rainy morning. See you all soon.
        Alex Wind
        Harmony Springs Farm