This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Hi All-
>
> How do you shoe your Fjords? Do their feet have any
> special needs/problems?

Hi Brigid,

Whether or not you use shoes on your fjords depends on the kind of hoof
the particular fjord has inherited, and on the type of ground where you
plan to use him.  Some (most, actually) fjords have very hard hoof walls
and very thick soles.  These horses seem to do well barefoot in most
conditions - will even tolerate some work on gravel.  Others seem to
inherit thinner walls and soles - these horses cannot tolerate any
gravel and can wear down their hooves just in pasture.  How fast a
horse's hoof wears down can also be a factor of how hard he slams his
feet down.  I have one that slams his feet down so hard he keeps his
heels worn down even in the winter mud!  We live on the wet Washington
coast.  When we trail ride in the mountains in the summer we keep shoes
on the horses used for this purpose, as the mountain trails are pretty
rocky.  In the winter we ride mostly in an arena and at the beach, so
they don't wear shoes.  All of our horses are barefoot most of the year
(unless being ridden on trails) and they grew up that way.  Our old mare
(draft style) has never had a pair of shoes on since we've had her and I
don't know whether she wore shoes in Norway.  I suspect not.  Our
farrier says her hoof walls are so thick and tough he would hate to have
to drive nails through them.  So far he hasn't needed to.  We have
ridden her on the beach and driven her everywhere - beach, gravel road,
paved streets - in the time we've had her.  The only separation she's
had in her hoof wall came from a nail she stepped on in her turnout pen
(don't ask me where it came from, it's a mystery to us).  When you buy
your horses ask the seller what he has done about shoes, and why.  When
you get them home, have their feet assessed by a good (read "honest")
farrier, and follow his recommendations.

Good luck.

Mary
===
Mary Thurman