This message is from: "Dave McWethy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The dog attack story is very scary, and I am glad it ended as well as it
did.  I reposted it on the CD-L as I know there will be interest in it
there.
When I traveled cross country with my horses I was concerned about dogs and
wanted to be prepared.  I could not risk a dog attack from one side and
speeding cars on the other.  My solution was to bring a CO2 powered pellet
pistol.  I would never fire on a dog unless it was off its property and on
the road, and in any case, I wanted the dog to be close, to get full effect.
I like dogs a lot, but dogs attacking are a risk no one should have to be
exposed to.
I did not have huge numbers of occasions, but I did use it from time to
time.  A dog bent on attacking a horse is very intent on its subject.  I
never had trouble getting a close shot, and the result was always the same:
the dog, not knowing what hit it, would turn and run home, forgetting all
about the horse.
Two experiences stand out.  The first was in Illinois.  A dog crossed the
road to come after us, and I shot it.  I was intent on the dog and didn't
notice the owner standing in the yard.  She probably thought I was going to
kill her dog when she saw the pistol.  I had to stop a short distance down
the road at a veterinarian clinic where I was meeting a reporter.  After I
was there a short while, the dog owner drove up.  I thought I was in for
some unpleasantness.  Instead, she was there for vet business.  I spoke to
her, and her response was that the dog had deserved it.
The second was on the Crow Indian Reservation in Montana, in the town of
Crow Agency.  I was headed out of town when two of the scruffiest meanest
looking welfare dogs came up on us, making a lot of dog racket.  This was
the scariest dog challenge in 3,000 miles.  One dog was meaner looking than
the other - a dog that had abuse and neglect written all over it.  Even in
Mexico I have not seen as nasty and viscous dog.  As the two approached I
waited till the first, the nasty one, was next to my front wheel.  I knew I
had only one chance and it had to be accurate.  I hit the nasty one, and
understanding the international language of pain, he cleared out like every
other dog.  The sidekick was so impressed that he ran off too.
I'm not suggesting everyone carry a pellet gun, but if you go where you
might expect dogs that could attack, you might consider it.  I suspect it
will permanently train the dogs in your neighborhood.
I'm very glad I didn't have to face any dogs as bad as the one Cathy tells
about.