This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 Hi List,

In regard to the debate of whether to use a chain or not, and how it
works best - under or over the nose - I must add this.

For years we used chains (stud chains as they're called around here).
Never could get the things to work very well.  It seemed the horses
either ignored them or got mad when we used them.  Several times we
asked and were shown by different people the "proper" way to use them.
 Still no good.

A few years ago I went to a Wil Howe clinic and learned to use what is
called a "cowboy halter" - a rope halter  with a double rope (braided)
noseband and knots at the cheekbone and under the chin.  They work
great!  No more pulling and misbehaving.  The halter is light enough
that the horse is not hampered by it if he is behaving, but the knots
bump him on the chin and cheekbones if he acts up.  We use them all
the time, except for picketing (it is made of rope and could cause
damage if an unattended horse became tangled in his rope) and showing.

Mary
==
Mary Thurman
Raintree Farms