This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I lways use the chain OVER the nose with one turn over the halter noseband.
 If used as recommended in the TTeam method, as a signal, the chain is not
severe this way, altho of course it can be.  For lunging my youngster my
instructor put it not only over the nose over the noseband but back around
to istself, so there was no real tightening, just made the noseband feel a
bit rougher.

Used under the chin, my mare Stella will go up in the air, rearing, as she
is vert sensitive under the chin.  Also used under the chin makes them
throw their head up, nose in the air.

I is my opinion that the chain used over the nose ala Linda Tellinton-Jones
TTeam method is less severe than using one of those thin rope halters with
the hard knots.

When lunging with a bit and bridle it is common to run the lunge line
through the nearside bit, over the pole and down to the other sideof the bit.

Jean in Fairbanks, where it was -7 at MY house this morning while it was
-33 downtown!  but with a wind! (wind chill = -50) Fairbanksans will call
each other and compare temperatures! ( Mines higher than yours, naaa naaa!)
>Interesting comment on the chain under the chin -- my thoughts were that it
>would be less severe under the chin than over the nose, but maybe I'm wrong.

Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
[EMAIL PROTECTED]