This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (BRIAN C JACOBSEN)

Dear Jean,

Sorry it has taken a few days for you to get a reply, but you asked:

>I have a half dozen tubes of Eqvalan Brand Ivermectin paste that are
>Outdated, ie. exp date Dec 96.  I'm not sure how this happened, guess I
>stashed them away and forgot them?  But are these still usable?
>Considering the cost, I hate to just toss them.

---->  Probably they are still good but it's hard to know for sure.  One
way you could know is if you or a friend had a horse that a) WAS NOT on
Strongid C, b) had a fecal exam done and some worm eggs were seen c) was
dewormed with one of the Eqvalans in question, and d) a fecal exam was
done again a week later and the number of worm eggs was significantly
reduced.  Sound like a lot of work?  Maybe, but the thing you wouldn't
want to do is just use them and assume they are good and allow worms to
build up in your horses, possibly causing internal damage, and adding to
the number of worms (eggs) on your pasture.  So when you look at it that
way, you would be spending probably $25 or less for the fecal exams to
find out if you can save (use) approx. $72 worth of dewormers.  If you
don't mind the trouble, it's probably worth it.

>Another question:  I had my horses on the Strongid C2x Daily wormer up
>about two weeks ago when I went out of town asnd didn't want the horse
>sitter to fool with giving individual feedings, etc.  So they haven't
had
>it for over two weeks.  Do I need to worm with Ivermectin before
starting
>again? Or Strongid (Pyrantel Pamoate) paste?  I had intended to stop the
>daily wormer in mid October and restart in the spring, as there is snow
on
>the ground here in Fairbanks, Alaska from Mid October to Mid April.

----->Yes, you would need to deworm them with a full dose of a good
dewormer.  If your horses picked up any worm larvae during those two
weeks, those immature worms may already be starting to migrate around in
your horse's body, and the Ivermectins and Moxidectins (Quest) are
reported to be better against migrating larvae than standard doses of the
others.

If you just re-started the daily dewormer without using a paste (or
having your veterinarian tubeworm), you risk allowing any worm larvae
that the horses picked up in those two weeks to continue developing
inside your horse.  Reason?  The daily dewormer is only a low dose
designed to kill worm larvae in the stomach and first part of the
intestinal tract right as they enter.  It is not enough of a dose to kill
worms that have gotten inside farther than that, or that have gotten in
the tissues.

-----> To everyone using the Strongid C or Strongid C-2X daily dewormers,
(and actually everyone else as well), don't forget to also deworm your
horses with a product containing Ivermectin (Eqvalan, Zimectrin,
Equimectrin, Rotectin 1, etc) or Moxidectin (Quest) after the first
killing frost or two.  Why?  Strongid (paste or daily) is not labeled for
removal of Bot larvae.  Let me risk being a little too basic here and
describe Bots, since everybody may not know about them (especially since
the eggs can be hard to see on a Fjord).  Bot flies are active in the
summer and lay eggs on the hairs of horses' front legs, especially around
the knee (carpus), and sometimes on the neck and jaw hairs.  The eggs are
like a small sesame seed in size and color.  When your horse licks or
chews at the area of the eggs, the larvae get in the horse's mouth and
then make their way down to the stomach.  One gruesome note - they are
not swallowed, they tunnel through the tissue of the esophagus to get
there, causing microscopic damage all the way!  Once there, they chew a
hole in the lining of the stomach and suck blood.  Sound like nasty
creatures?  They are.

The good part is that the flies are killed after the first really good
frost, so no more eggs will be deposited on the horses until the next
summer.  So if you deworm with a product that kills Bots after a few good
frosts, you can keep your horse clear of them until the next summer.  It
is also a good idea to scrape the eggs off the horses at the same time
you deworm.  Realize, though, that the sesame-seed-looking-thing is
actually the egg case or shell; Even after the larvae have hatched out
and gone, the case remains cemented to your horse's hair.  However, if
you get the egg case off, you know that the larvae can't be there either.

Jean also wrote:
My vet here is sold on the Daily Strongid throughout the WINTER believe
it
or not, as he has seen some tremendous benefits to horses using it, and
feels that worms may well be a problem in the winter here, As Horses may
munch on frozen manure, etc. Is there one of you vets out there that has
some extra knowledge on this?

----->  If you trust your veterinarian and believe he's making the
recommendation for the good of your horses, rather than to just be able
to sell something to you, then follow his advice - he should know.  If
you have any question, or even if you don't question his motives but you
want to find out if YOU really need to use it in YOUR HORSES
(compared to the neighbor, for example, who might not do as good a job of
keeping the worm levels low) then when the days are starting to stay cold
(40's maybe), stop using the daily dewormer, and once each month have a
fecal exam done on a different horse to see if any worm eggs are showing
up.  There's only one catch; Worms are smart (in a manner of speaking).
Some species of worms have the ability to burrow into the intestinal
wall, form a cyst, and basically hibernate until the weather outside is
more favorable to the development of their eggs!  Crafty, eh?  So the
horses could be picking up worms but not shedding any eggs in their
manure because the worms are "hibernating".

So if you don't want to take any chances, use the daily dewormer; It has
definitely been associated with a decreased incidence of colic and often
a slightly shinier horse who needs slightly less feed.  If you want to do
what you can to find out if you really need the daily dewormer through
the winter, then do what I've described above, realizing that if
absolutely no worm eggs at all are being seen in the horses' stools, then
despite what I wrote above, MOST LIKELY they are not picking up any.

Hope this helps Jean!

Brian Jacobsen, DVM

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]