This message is from: Sam & Sue Banks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I am a relative newbie Fjord owner (2 years), and long time horse owner
(30 years). I don't plan on becoming a Fjord horse breeder, but I might
want to breed one of my mares someday for a replacement, and I certainly
see the value of having Stallions evaluated for breeding. I know what I
like in a horse, but I do not know what is the best Fjord horse
character.

I live in an area where there are few Fjord horses, and certainly no
Fjord horse shows (Virginia, USA) where I might learn more about the
breed. I inhale my Herald magazine when it arrives, and visited Purton
Fjords near me. I went to Equitana last year to learn more and support
the breed. It would be easier for me if all stallions were evaluated,
and if their evaluations, any ranking system and the judges remarks were
published.

With my American mindset, allowing registration only for offspring from
Registry stallions "Approved" for breeding would not be popular, no
matter how well the program was done. My husband and I are involved with
performance dogs, Whippets mainly, and there had been a lot of politics
and friction between the "show" whippet owners/breeders, who are in the
majority and control The American Whippet Club, and us "race" whippet
owners. Although it did not pass, I did not like one Board member's idea
of being forced to have an AKC conformation Champion in a 3 generation
pedigree in order for a dog to be allowed in the AWC's race program, and
there was no reciprocal requirement for show dogs to have proven racing
stock in their pedigree! So while I value the idea of "Approved"
stallions, and I personally would choose one if I ever breed, I have
been on the "wrong" side of a one-sided argument.

If there were an Evaluation near me, I would try to go for the learning
experience to see all those Fjords (is this heaven?), and try to take my
horses to support it. Unfortunately, it sounds like the European systems
require the mares to have a lot of foals and I like to play with my
mares, not breed them!

Sue Banks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Virginia, USA