This message is from: Julie Will <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

At 08:26 AM 4/27/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Julie Will responding to Carol Revoire:

I would take exception to certain aspects of a stallion's "manners" not
counting.  I think an aggressive temperament can be and often is
transmitted to
offspring.  The first colt that we purchased for a possible stallion
"prospect"  was (by age 14 months) so aggressive that we chose to scrap the
plan and geld him.   He was a biter, dispite aggressive training and handling,
and I felt it was unsafe to have him on a farm where children were frequent
visitors.   He was the son of a well-known stallion, one that had been  used
for breeding in Norway prior to being imported.  I have since owned two
offspring of this same stallion that had "less than pleasant" dispositions.
Both are aggressive to other horses and are among the few Fjords I have been
around that frequently lay their ears back.   Both are "kickers".   I think
having a gentle, trustworthy disposition is critical in a stallion.  I don't
mean not "masculine", but certainly not inclined to bite or kick at the
handler.

And yes, I agree that breeding stallions should be evaluated, or at the very
least should be competing in large Fjord shows and WINNING.  Julie @ Old
Hickory Farm