This message is from: Arthur Rivoire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Carol Rivoire responding to Vivian Creigh and Julie Will -

I think Vivian's on the money when she talks about Americans being unwilling
to accept Evaluation Advice.  There are a lot of other problems as well;
such as the distances we have to deal with.

As mentioned, at our farm, we've always relied on the European evaluation
system to select our stock.  I believe in this system, which is not unique
to the Fjord breed in Europe.  As far as I know, EVERY breed in Europe has a
similar system for evaluating breeding stock, and eliminating serious
faults.  So obviously such a system proven over time has merit.

Julie mentioned that she's seen highly placed European Fjords that weren't
up to her standards.  I too have seen such horses.  However, it has to be
realized that EACH AND EVERY HORSE HAS HIS FAULTS!  That's the nature of
horses and other animals.  A big important lesson to learn is that NO HORSE
IS PERFECT!  They all, even the very best,   have something wrong with them,
be it physical or mental.

Julie thought Vivian's idea of a stallion owner refusing to breed an
inferior mare was impractical.  I guess I'd agree.  --  A strict Stallion
Approval program, however,  would go a long way toward good Fjord breeding
in North America.

Currently, the NFHR has  a rule that a stallion has to be evaluated by a vet
to verify that he has two descended testicles, and does not have parrot
mouth.  --  This is good, but in no way good enough.  "Parrot Mouth" is a
pretty severe condition, but there's a lot of lesser malocclusions that
should also disqualify a stallion. A breeding stallion should have perfect
tooth alignment.   I have a quote on my office wall that reads -

CONFORMATION IS IMPORTANT FOR ALL HORSES, BUT FOR A STALLION IT SHOULD BE AS
CLOSE TO PERFECTION AS POSSIBLE.  WITH STALLIONS, THERE ARE NO EXCUSES.

A plan that might work would be for the NFHR to REQUIRE all stallions that
are to be used for breeding to be presented for Evaluation, and if that
stallion does not pass the Evaluation, his foals could not be registered.
Of course, there would have to be a lot of rules about what is and isn't
acceptable.  For instance, testicles, mouth, pigeon-toed, excessive white
markings, and other serious, inheritable faults.

Whereas, it really is almost impossible for many breeders to transport all
of their stock (mares and foals) to Evaluations, they could (if absolutely
required to) transport one horse - the stallion.

One more thought I have about stallions.  You hear a lot of criticism from
supposed "experts" about this or that stallion.  To me, the only value of a
breeding stallion is in what he produces.  I don't care if the stallion is
poorly mannered, or whatever.  If he produces quality babies that are easily
trainable, then he's a good breeding stallion.  -  This is where breeding
expertise is called for.   I've been to the stallion shows in Norway and
Holland and seen some hard to handle, poorly behaved stallions.  Some of
those stallions had been breeding for years, and were  highly thought of.
Why?  Because they'd proven themselves through their offspring.  That's all
that counts.

I recently read a story about the famous Thoroughbred, NASRULLAH.  He was a
terror on the track.  Hard to handle, and absolutely erratic.  Sometimes,
he'd just stop after taking the lead, and wouldn't go on.  He hardly won a
race because of his queer behavior.  However, he went on to become one of
the best sires ever, producing countless stakes winners.  ---  That's all
that counts for a breeding stallion.

Aren't we lucky to have this wonderful medium for exchanging idea?

Regards,  Carol Rivoire  from Beaver Dam Farm, Nova Scotia
                      email address:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]