This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Martha,

>  When the filly was born, Hedda seemed to be really motherly
> toward her and she has always been extremely calm.

Be patient.  Once the foal starts nursing her again, she should be ok.
It may take some discipline and possibly some sedation at first, but most
come around.

 >We're also seriously considering changing regular vets.  Do you
> think this is warranted?

Not necessarily.  Is southern Wisconsin a known selenium deficient area?
I didn't think it was.  Since the foal was sick immediately at birth,
then there was obviously something wrong in the uterus.  If the placenta
was not healthy then this may have caused a malnutrition with the foal
(placental insufficiency we call it) and even adding supplements may not
have helped.

It sounds like your vet did ok initially.  Colostrum administration for
immunity and nutrition and glucose for energy.  Don't be too quick to
place blame on anyone or anything.  These things happen.  The only sure
way to not have foal problems is not to breed your mare.

Good Luck!

Steve White, DVM
Waterloo, NE