This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 4/21/00 3:02:50 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<
 Do any of you have experience regarding raising an orphan foal?  We need the
 info ... we are determined to do everything possible help this little one
 make it.  Please let us know via this list, or by a phone call or private
 email.

SOOOO sorry to hear that Kay Kay died!  Please extend our sympathies to Chip!
 I had Kay Kay for training several years ago.

Apparently the mare your'e using is a dry mare?  I had an older QH mare that
died several years ago, 18 hours after she foaled.  She died from a ruptured
artery, slowly bled to death internally.  It ballooned between the tissues
until it finally burst.  Had had the vet in attendance and he wasn't even
aware of what was happening either.  I just knew 'something' wasn't right.

We struggled through the first day and night with that little orphan to feed
him every hour.  Finally linked up with a fellow QH breeder who had had a
mare foal the same night and the mare's foal died!  What a coincidence!  We
took the foal to the mare, rubbed him with rags soaked in her fluids from
when she foaled.  We also sprayed him with hairspray.  I had heard that would
mask unfamiliar smells for the mare.  She accepted him after a short while.

Anyway, there are several folks in your area who raise Fjords.  Am wondering
if Chip has contacted any of them to see whether anyone has a nursing mare
that might accept that foal.  I've had a few Fjord mares that would nurse any
lips that came along!

Gayle Ware
Field of Dreams
Eugene, OR