This message is from: John and Martie Bolinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Just my own take on this, but I have usually bought geldings because I don't
intend to breed.  If you have a nice mare, it seems such a waste to leave her
open if she could contribute to the breed.  I never bred the mares I did own
because, imho, they would never have done anything to improve the breed (these
were not Fjords).  I now own a Fjord mare and I am having her bred even though
she is being released from someone else's breeding program.
Anyway, sometimes the reason for a gelding has nothing to do with temperament.
About bonding with mares vs geldings.  I have had fewer problems bonding with
our geldings than our mares.  Must be that you bond better with the animals you
just feel closer to.  Our geldings have been mostly quiet and easy going on the
ground and forward and a little  'pushy' when ridden/driven.  This is the kind
of horse I look for and the kind of horse I like.  Our mares have all been more
difficult from the ground.

Just my take on things - personal preferences are why we do the things we do
Martie and Kilar in windy!!! MD