This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!

That is the noise I make as I pull my hair out by the roots every time I
hear someone mention that deworming medications are harmful or poisonous
to the horse.  For years I couldn't understand why someone would rather
risk their horse to parasites then to give them an occasional dewormer.
Don't these people realize that horses are living LONGER these days
because of the advances in parasite control?  If only they could see the
damage that these parasites are causing as I have seen during colic
surgery or a postmortem exam.  Scarring of the intestines and liver,
abdominal abscesses, blood clots in the vessels of the gut, not to
mention malnutrition and unthriftyness.

I couldn't understand what the fear of using these dewormers was.  Then
one day it dawned on me.  It was the use of the word "chemical" when they
referred to them.  I think these people felt that the ingredient in the
dewormers is like the harsh pesticides that a farmer might use on his
crops or an exterminator might use for termites. This is not the case at
all.  Yes, many years ago harsh chemicals were used that many times made
the horses sick (and sometimes the veterinarian), but these are no longer
used today.

Much safer ingredients are used in dewormers today.  The ingredient in
Strongid, Pyrantel, is used sometimes in children for the treatment of
Pinworms.  Ivermectin (Ivomec, Rotectin, etc.) is used in people in third
world countries where parasitism is still a common problem in humans.  So
you see, these ingredients are not harsh at all.  As for Strongid-C, the
daily wormer, the amount of pyrantel in it is a fraction of that of
Strongid-P, the paste dewormer.  So, you are giving a small amount over a
long period rather than a larger amount at one time.  And actually, the
Strongid-C is not a dewormer but rather a worm preventative.  It doesn't
kill the parasites already in the gut, but kills the parasites as they
are ingested so they don't establish themselves in the intestines.  That
is why you must first deworm them with Ivermectin before starting them on
the Strongid-C.

As Gail mentioned,  Pfizer (the makers of Strongid) is so sure of their
product helping to prevent colic, that if you are on their program and
your horse requires colic surgery, then they will pay for it.  The
program requires that you also keep up with other health care
(vaccinations, etc.) and have a yearly physical exam from your
veterinarian.  This not only provides you with colic surgery insurance,
but also helps build a good working relationship between your
veterinarian, you, and your horse.

I have used Strongid-C for many years on my own horses and have seen
nothing but good results.  I encourage everyone to get on an aggressive
deworming program and stick with it!  The damage that these little guys
do far outweighs any risk of the dewormers themselves.

I apologize for the length of this reply, but as you can tell, I am very
passionate about this topic.

Steve White, DVM
Waterloo, Nebraska