This message is from: Anita Unrau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Upon reading yesterdays list, I thought I would comment on what we
> have learned over the years.

We are feeding irrigated Alfalfa again this year. We get a couple of B
trains from Alberta and our Fjords as well as all the other various
horses do very well on it. We have found that we can feed about 9 lbs.
per horse per feeding with good quality hay compared to last year
using local hay and having to fed twice as much hay per feeding for
maintaince. The horses that are being worked get fed more when the are
in the barn during the day and everyone gets turned out at night. All
the TB's and TB X's are in Paddocks and the Fjords other then the
stallions are all in big pastures. The weanlings and yearling are the
only one with a run in shed. All the other outside horses have trees
for protection. We are very fortunate in having dry snow and very
little wind. My daughter has to keep a blanket on her TB eventing
horse as he uses up to much energy staying warm. We have fed Alfalfa
every winter for about 20 years. Do like an orchard grass mix with it
if available. This year have about 10% orchard grass in the 100#
bales.

Orville does not like to drive any horse unless they have shoes on.
His opinion is that the horse must be paying attention to what is
asked of him and not worrying about slipping, rocks, sore feet, etc.
During the winter of 85-86 a man by the name of Buck Jenkins came out
to do an article for the Sons of Norway magazine "Viking". He had been
to several places in the east and was doing some stories on the Fjord.
He wanted a bunch of pictures of Orville using the horses around the
farm. Orville hooked up George and Harvey and went to go out with the
sleigh and when he got to the gate that was real icy George and Harvey
refused to go through. This had never happened before so Orville
thought about it for a minute and turned around and went back to the
barn. Unhooked and put shoes on George and Harvey. Because he was
driving colts that winter he had taken off their pulling shoes with
big corks and left them barefoot. They had always had shoes with
borium for all the work they had done and were not about to change
things now. After putting their winter shoes on, we hooked back up and
they drove through the gate as though there was no ice. They taught us
that it was important for them to work with secure footing. George and
the three kids unloading bedding from the barn made the front cover.

I checked out the webb page for the US Marine art. Again back in the
early 80's we were told there are pictures at the army base in Calgary
of the Canadian Army on winter manoeuvres in Norway. They would race
each other to a mountain top and the first one with camp set up won.
The Norwegians consistenly would win with their Fjord horses on
snowshoes packing everything up the mountain. The Canadians would use
Bombadiers or early snowmobiles. We were sorry to hear when the
Norwegian Army quite using horses.

Top Canadian CDE competitiors, David and Christi Wharton have a
beautiful barn set up in Kendal, Ont. Each box stall has a trap door
that opens up to the underbarn conveyor belt that dumped all the
bedding and manure behind the barn into the manure spreader. It takes
just a few minutes to pick each stall and dump into the trapdoor.
Christi had a choice between a new kitchen or the easier barn chores.
Horses do tend to come first don't they.

Our experiences with meadowbrooks has not been good. Sam was about 15
when we were at a Bill Long clinic in Washington state. She used her
gelding Anvil's Klipper and the two wheeled cart for her lesson and
after it was done her Dad took Klipper out practising hazards. On the
flat at a good trot in a hard turn the cart flipped over. The next day
Cathy Shives with their gelding Anvil's Ryder did the same thing in a
flat hazard on a hard turn. That is when Orville started designing
four wheel carriages. He said our daughter is not going to be
competing in a two wheeled vehicle. Funny how small things can make
big changes. Rattled on enough.

Anita Unrau
Anvil's Acres Norwegian Fjords
"Disposition, Conformation, Versatility"