This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- Denise Delgado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This message is from: "Denise Delgado"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> thanks mary,
> saddles.  why do so many people
> out there like (love) those aussie saddles?

Good question.  Admittedly, they are not cheap if you
buy the 'real thing' made in Australia!  I think it is
because they are more secure than an english saddle,
but not as 'restrictive' as a western saddle.  Plus
the 'style' of them is more english looking.  Also,
for people who are looking for a non-english saddle to
fit a Fjord, they used to be about the only game in
town.  I've seen a couple of recent posts which say
they are 'heavy' - 30 to 32 pounds.  Guess these
people haven't lifted an older western saddle lately!
The really new western saddles - made of Cordura and
other synthetics - are around 25 pounds, but my old
one weighs around 40 pounds.  Uff Da!!  However, my
horse is pretty short so it isn't all that far up to
his back from the saddle rack.

 what
> are the benefits verses
> disavantages to the forward sitting placments and
> also the legs?

The Aussie puts your seat at about the same place as
you would sit on the horse if riding bareback.  It's
easier to balance there, and it's easier on the horse.
 He can balance the rider's weight better if it is
more towards his withers.  If you sit right in the
middle of his back, his back gets tired, and the gaits
feel rougher to the rider.  Also, if he makes a sudden
movement, it's harder to catch your balance if you are
right in the middle of his back.  An Aussie has 'free
swinging' stirrups, like an english saddle, so you can
position your legs forward, center, or in between -
keeps your legs from getting as tired, takes the
strain off your lower back, makes balancing easier.
You actually sit in it with your thighs under the
"poley" ears, knees slightly bent, heels down, leg
going slightly forward of your butt.  In the older
western saddles this was NOT possible.  Your leg went
straight down and stayed that way.  Not very
comfortable over a long ride.

but then i/ve
> heard they can be a bugger to get out of in a
> hurry...

I've never had any trouble 'bailing out' of one.  Only
did it a couple of times, though.  Guess you need to
be familiar enough with the saddle to remember that
your leg has to come back - out from under the 'poley'
- before you can jump off.  Believe me, you are more
apt to get your jacket or shirt caught on the horn of
a western saddle when bailing out, than to get stuck
in an Aussie.  Of course, the idea is supposed to be
that you don't "bail out" - that's why the Aussie is
built like it is, so the rider can stay put no matter
what the horse does.

Mary

=====
Mary Thurman