This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- Denise Delgado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This message is from: "Denise Delgado"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> what can any of you tell me about aussie saddles and
> fitting fjords.

Denise,

I used an Aussie saddle - actually two of them - for
many years on my Fjords.  The older saddle was made in
Australia, has a very wide tree, and fits our old
"work style" mare who weighs in at around 1250 to 1300
pounds.  I even used it on her when she was in foal -
until she became too wide to ride.  The newer saddle
was made in either India or somewhere in Asia (a copy,
I believe they call it).  It was narrower and worked
well on my younger Fjords.  I really liked the more
forward seat, the deep back, and the "poley ears" that
kept my legs in place no matter what the horse did.
My Ausies had no horn, but I never felt like I might
"come out" of them because of the poley ears.  Having
had back surgery several years ago, I liked the free
movement of the stirrups as well.  Unfortunately, I
needed a Western saddle for the kind of riding I now
do, so I sold the newer Ausie and bought a very old
"beartrap" western saddle, which also gives good leg
stability.

Hope this helps.

Mary

=====