This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- Denise Delgado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This message is from: "Denise Delgado"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  what type of
> riding do you do now as
> opposed to before with the aussie saddle?

Denise,

When I used my Aussie saddles only I pretty much rode
everywhere - they are not limited in their use that
way.  I rode in parades, at the beach, down the road,
on trails, etc.  However, when attending shows back
then an Aussie saddle was a bit of a quandry for the
judges/class stewards.  They weren't sure what to do
with it.  Western riders complained that it was NOT
western style - even though I used a western bridle
and bit.  And it DEFINITELY was NOT English!!  What to
do with it?  In the early Libby shows everything and
everyone was pretty "laid back", so there really was
no problem with it.  I dressed western and went in the
western classes.  As things became more "organized" it
became obvious that the saddle was a "misfit" and I
would have to do something else - or not enter in
shows.  About the same time I began taking
riding/training clinics given by Wil Howe.  For these
you REALLY DO need a true western saddle - for various
reasons related to the training - which is ongoing -
part of the method.  So I found an old western saddle
- about 40 years old - that is comfortable and traded
my newer Aussie in on it.  This old saddle is very
comfortable and secure, has lots of ties for trail
equipment, has a low, flat horn, AND has a silver horn
ornament that is coveted by every cowboy I meet!
Extra bonus!  I kept the old Aussie to use on Line
when I ride her and to use on her for the grandkids.
I don't like to put them on her bareback.  She's so
wide I'm afraid they'll slide off with nothing to hang
on to!

Hope this answers your question.

Also, I know some people question whether a saddle
riding further forward on the withers is a good idea.
The "further forward" here refers to the fact that an
Aussie - properly fitted - rides in the hollow behind
the shoulder muscles similar to where a jumping saddle
rides(so I've been told), as opposed to a western
saddle which puts the rider's weight mostly in the
middle of the horse's back - especially on Fjords
which tend to be short backed.  In fact, that is the
reason I bought an Aussie saddle in the first place.
Most of the western saddles available at the time were
so "long" that I was sitting in the middle of the
horse's back and the saddle extended over their rump.
Not good.  Nowadays western saddles are available in
smaller models which fit a Fjord better.  The REALLY
old saddles - like mine - had only one cinch, called a
"center fire" cinch, so the saddles were shorter.
Then everyone got the idea they needed TWO cinches (a
la roping saddle) to look "macho" or "western" so the
saddles got longer - too long for a short-backed
horse.  Now we are swinging back towards lighter,
smaller western saddles again, thank heavens.  Those
of us with "iffy" backs appreciate the lighter weight
when swinging those saddles up on the horse - and I'm
sure the horses appreciate it after a long day.

There, now you know pretty much everything I know
about saddles, which isn't much.  Hope it helps.

Mary

=====
Mary Thurman
Raintree Farms