This message is from: Gail Russell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 the "bucking" i've experienced
>with fjords has only been 2 or 3 times on quinn the youngest.  he sometimes
>does it when playing with knute.  it is like you describe'  the "sofa being
>moved" feeling.  he is not a bucker by nature.

* i think it is too hard for
>them to lift the mass they live in.*

Denise said, in a sentence, the same thing I had planned to describe in a
whole page.  My understanding is that a talented bucking horse has the kind
of athletic build that is ideally suited to dressage.  Lots of power in the
hindquarters, suppleness, and the will to put themselves into their "work."
 However, that same athleticism has to be more carefully channelled if what
you are after is a quiet, easygoing therapeutic riding center horse (or a
really calm horse for middle aged just-got-back-into-riding types like me).
 So... I don't know exactly what the answer is.  I do know that an athletic
horse is more suited to the rigors of being ridden (assuming good bone and
basic conformation)than a non-athletic horse.  But it will also be a lot
easier for the athletic horse to buck.  No matter what we do, seems to me
there are compromises whichever direction we go.

Small aside.  Does anyone else besides me use "conformation" instead of
"confirmation" when describing how an animal is put together?  I had never
seen confirmation used in this context until I got on e-mail lists, but I
now that is the only word I see used.  Just curious.