This message is from: "Meredith Sessoms" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I read the article <http://fjord.hypermart.net/mail/manes.htm> and was
surprised because I trim differently.  I trim with a smooth transition from
bridle path to mane whereas DeeAnne's article called for a bridlepath notch.
To those who know ... is one way Dutch and the other Norwegian ... or one
way Western and the other Eastern?

I also like to ride bareback and I like at least 8 inches of mane over the
wither to grow out ... if I need it I don't want to have to grope for a
small swatch, I want a whole handfull!!!!!  I got the idea from looking at
photos of Dutch stallions like Briggen
<http://www.fjordstudbook.com/h-brigge.htm>.  But that means, when I cut the
mane, I have to eyeball the line of the crest to the line of the withers and
guess where to cut, otherwise my downward curve will head for the neck at
too sharp an angle.  Without the swatch, the mane should blend into the
tallest spot on the withers.

I will brush the mane before I start with a wet brush if they have rubbed
against a tree and bent some hairs, or if the mane is so-o-o long it droops.

There are lots of different ways to trim the mane.  I trim the whole mane at
first ... I do most of it from one side, then neaten up from the other side.
I step back often to see what I'm doing, much like an artist with a
painting.  I even look at it from in front of the horse.  I pay attention to
my reference points - the bridle path, the high point (which is a little
higher on the neck than the middle) and the wither.  At first I do the whole
mane the Norwegian way, without even looking at the colors.  That way, if I
lack the gumption or the patience to do the Dutch trim - with the black
higher than the white - I can stop at that point and do the Dutch cut on
another day.  I usually have to come back at a later date and do some major
corrections and trim those hairs that I missed the first time anyways.

When I do the Dutch cut I use the black as a guide, and cut the white hairs
on both sides at about 1/4 to 1/2 inch shorter than the black.

Oh ... and be sure to wear gloves!!!!!  And be careful to not get those tiny
snips in your eyes on a windy day ... believe me, they are like a hard piece
of straw, not a bit like an eyelash!

Somebody mentioned that the Norwegians brush buttermilk into their mane to
make it stand up perfectly for show.  I have yet to try this ... has anyone
else tried it?  Does it work?

Meredith Sessoms
Soddy-Daisy. Tennessee. USA
Dorina & NFR Aagot