This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 10/7/99 8:06:40 Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Has anyone had experience with the shredded rubber ( recycled tires I think
 ) footing for arenas?  I haven't actually seen it anywhere, but was told by
 a sales rep that called the office about a month ago that it is pretty
 wonderful stuff.  Totally impervious to wet, cold or heat.  >>

My old trainer uses that.  We boarded our horses at her place for a couple
months while we were finding/buying our property.  The plusses that I've
found are buoyancy.  It feels so neat to walk on, I found myself jogging
around her arena without a horse!  It must feel wonderful to a horse.  Didn't
seem to have any problem with slipping.

The minus, I don't like it if you are also using your arena as turnout (which
she does in the wintertime).  We had a newborn foal, Juniper and Merry Gold.
The foal would eat the rubber, or try to, I'd have to run into the arena and
grab it out of her mouth.  And sometimes she'd feed a horse in the arena.  I
really don't think it's good for their digestive system (that's a nobrainer).

Pamela