This message is from: "Mike May, Registrar NFHR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

At 08:27 AM 10/6/99 -0600, you wrote: This message is from: Anita Unrau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Cameron Pedri that owns Anvil's Salamon and had him showing at the Turlock show in Sept. was here yesterday to see Sal's sire and dam and siblings. She said that Sal was registered in the US as a yellow dun instead of white dun like we had him registered in Canada. Maybe Mike May can clarify the white body color being called yellow dun.

Sure can. According to what I have read a White Dun has a black or grey stripe in the mane. The Yellow Dun has a yellowish or barely discernable stripe in the mane. Here is a clip from the descriptions I use:

Uls (White) Dun

Uls dun ("ulsblakk") is a variety of the brown dun color caused by a factor which reduces the production of pigment, so-called diluted color. The color of the body is almost white or yellowish-white. "Midtstol", dorsal stripe and "halefjaer" are black or grey. Mane and tail has a lighter shade than the body.

Yellow Dun

Yellow dun ("gulblakk") is the rarest of the Fjordhorse Colors. It is a variety of red dun caused by the same factor as mentioned under uls dun. The color of the body is yellowish-white. "Midtstol", dorsal stripe and "halefjaer" are darker yellowish than the color of the body. Forelock, mane and tail can be completely white, and on such individuals the dorsal stripe can be indistinct.

I still am confused over the proper names for the white body colors.

Take a look here for color descriptions:

http://www.nfhr.com/Colors.htm

As far as I know Modellan is the only white stallion breeding in N. America.

Since Modellen is now deceased I don't know of any White Dun stallions that are breeding in North America any longer. I have a couple listed as stallions but they have not had stallion breeding reports filed for several years so I suspect that they are probably geldings.

Eric and Judy Uthiem had also brought over one or two white mares. They must have had some white foals that are out there somewhere. Sorry to ramble on for so long but I really do like the White Duns.

Yes they had LIN. She had several White Dun foals. Not sure who the other white dun they imported was.

Mike

Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry
Mike May, Registrar
Voice 716-872-4114