This message is from: Ingrid Ivic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> They also like to know who is in charge, and
> if you aren't, then they are happy to fill the position. This can result in
> a pushy horse who is accustomed to doing his own thing. By the owner being
> in charge I don't mean yelling and striking and domineering the horse,
> rather calm matter-of-fact insistence on correct and acceptable behaviour.

Hi Lori....how very well put and to the point!! That is exactly how it
should be.
To make a case:
    We had sold one of our beloved and extremely trustworthy (beginner
safe) trail mounts last year. A non-fjord, I might add....half a year
later he came back to us as a pushy, spoiled, mishaving little brat! It
was amazing to me to see him that way...such a horrible change.
    His owner was afraid of him, poor woman. She even refused to take
him off the trailer, as she was very scared he would explode backwards.
Which he did, unfortunately. While he was gone from under our care, he
had learned to pull back while being cross-tied or held for the farrier.
Brideling had become a chore, and he'd learned to bite. His previous
good behaviour had been "killed with kindness". Every time he did
something bad, she coddled him and gave him a treat, hoping he'd see the
light and be a "good horsey".
    I know she meant well, but the very behaviour she didn't want, was
being rewarded. Rather sad, but he's come around and has learned to
trust someone else being in charge again. I did have a professional's
help for the pulling back situation...hadn't had experience in that area
before. It's been a year now and he's made tons of progress. I will not
sell him again, he's one that will stay here...his retirement home, if
you will.
    Interestingly enough, we have a neighbor who does the "yelling,
screaming and hitting" thing to control her horses. Eeeek...it drives me
crazy, can't stand her swearing and shrieking. We horse-sat for her
once...never again. You couldn't enter her horse's stall without a crop,
or he'd lunge at you! Too scary for me...especially after being used to
our "friendly, welcome-to-my-stall fjordies" at home.
    Thanks for the insightful comment on discpline Lori. All the best,
Ingrid  :o)