This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 9/19/99 10:31:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<   i
 think the best way not to ruin a good horse is to find a competent trainer
 who is either familiar with fjords or is openminded and adaptable.   >>

Good point, Denise. I am learning every day about the "mule-like" temperament
of the Fjord and how to work with it. Funny, I've talked to and worked with
several trainers, but I seem to accomplish the most on my own because my
horses know me and like to work for me. Example: one person was riding
Tommes, who with me is very easy going and steady. Tommes shied, and said
rider whacked him on the shoulder with the crop. Immediately Tommes' both
hind feet came off the ground! Luckily my friend did not fall.

For my guys anyway, the best way to work seems to be
1) free lunging in the arena, to get the playful behavior overwith
2) lunging on the line, practicing up/down transitions, speed changes, and
working off more energy
3) riding at a walk and trot in the arena

They seem much more cooperative after the exercise and discipline of the
lunging.

What are other list members' methods?

Brigid in CA