This message is from: Carolyn Dumong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Cheryl Beillard wrote:

> This message is from: "Cheryl Beillard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Oh Carolyn .. what an ordeal!  We will all be thinking of you and your
> fjords with concern I'm sure -- have to say, never having experienced a
> hurricane up here, in Ontario, (we have ice storms)  I have tended to focus
> on the human tragedy (my normal tendency is to put animals first! don't know
> why this dimension never hit me before?) and your message really hit home.
> What is a hurricane collar?  What can you do to prepare the barn, etc. and
> what dread you must feel as you wait for it.   Please let us know you and
> the herd are all fine.
Hi Cheryl!  Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you and let you
know how much I appreciate your thoughts and prayers for us during the
Floyd thing.  Well, somebody was listening because we escaped with only
light rains and some gusty winds!  We were very lucky for that northward
turn at the very last minute.  We battened down the barn as much as we
could, brought in all jumps, ground poles, buckets...anything that could
become flying missles in 150 MPH winds.  Our 18 horses had hurricane
collars (white, plastic-like things that you hang around their neck with
a buckle).  You can write on it with permanent marker...name, address,
phone #, Vet #...as much as you can fit!).  We also put our SS #'s and
phone numbers on their hooves with nail polish as well as spray painted
their bodies with the name of our barn, phone numbers, etc.  It was
quite a sight.  They all looked like walking billboard advertisements!
I can laugh now, but it was not so funny at the time.  I was scared to
death and so afraid for all of them.  I am still going thru somewhat of
a nuclear meltdown.  This taught me that we must not take things for
granted...and that there is great power in prayer and our friends who
are there for us in times of need.  Thank you again for being there!
                                Carolyn