This message is from: "Starfire Farm, LLC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi everyone,

Well, I was going to tell you about how we spent 5 exquisite days at Trinity
Fjords, but Ursula beat me to it.  Brian and Ursula are wonderful hosts and we
had an incredible time working with their fjords.  I think we hitched just about
every combination we could.  Brian and his horses couldn't be better instructors
(a rather nice time, eh guys?)  I have to say, because the horses have such good
work ethics, and Brian and Ursula have done a magnificent job of training, they
made the driving easy!  As for the color commentary, well, the peanut gallery
was
definitely vocal.  If they offer these driving week-ends again, don't miss it!
The surroundings are absolutely gorgeous.  The "rustic" cabin (which was built
by
Brian using no power tools at all!) was far from rustic.  We had running water
in
the kitchenette, with a gas stove top to cook on.  The wood stove brought us
memories of living in the mountains.  The "two holer" is just outside the door,
and there are indoor accomodations if you are afraid to go outside during the
night.  Quaint, maybe, but rustic it's not.  Plus, the cabin is set high, so you
have a beautiful view of the property, and of the surrounding Trinity valley.
Oh
yea, (Sandy reminded me) and the food.  "Rather edible" (as Rune would say!) But
we're Americans - not Norwegians, so we say, "it was awesome!"

I, also, am very excited and interested by the commentary about evaluations that
we missed while we were away.  Prior to this, I was wondering if the evaluation
process was going by the wayside.  It seems like there is strong support for
this
process, and I, for one, agree wholeheartedly.  I think that it is a very
positive thing to provide as much opportunity for educating our fjord lovers as
possible, and here we have another terrific tool.

A few of us, locally on the eastern slope in Colorado, have been waiting for a
couple of years to have enough horses and interested participants to hold an
evaluation in this area.  While at Brian and Ursula's farm, I had an opportunity
to look at the proposed evaluation guidelines.  It was obvious that the
committee
put a lot of thought, time and effort into the guidelines, to make them as
equitable as possible, both in conformation and performance.  The performance
tests are so well thought out that they have offered an introductory level as
well as advanced, so anyone should be able to participate.  Even though this is
still a "work in progress", it is an excellent program, and I believe it will
eventually serve fjord horses in North America very well.  Hats off to the
committee, and thank you.

My concern is this:  I understand that, as of today, there is only one qualified
evaluator in the United States.  I think it is Jim Havelhurst (sp?)  I know that
Wayne Hipsley was an evaluator, but he stepped down from this position last
year.  If this is true (Mike, anyone from the board?)  how can we have any
evaluations next year?   How can anyone be trained in time to come on board for
2000?  I would be interested to hear where the Board of Directors is on this
subject.

In the meantime, we're definitely looking forward to Libby.  I regret that Brian
and Ursula won't be there, but Brian, look out next year!  We definitely wish
them the best of luck in Calgary and the Victoria Horse Trials.  Riding with
Brian driving his 4 through the cones course and the "marathon" through the
"bush" is quite a thrill.  His team will go a long way to make people sit up and
notice our wonderful breed.

Beth
Starfire Farm.  Looking forward to Libby!