This message is from: Steve McIlree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Kari--

Wednesday, July 14, 1999, you wrote:

> I would appreciate knowing if any riders on this list have ever
> conquered specific mental blocks about particular riding tassks.

  Here's another thing to think about with cantering. I learned to
  really ride on my Morgan, ("Thank you I'm a driving horse not a
  saddle horse") Pferd. One thing that may have contributed to my
  tension with cantering was that he would occasionally bolt and run
  away, totally out of control, however I never fell off. Anyway, I
  was very tense, to the point of outright fear when trying to canter
  on him. Then I started riding my Trakehner, and discovered that
  Pferd had a horrible canter. I would wager, that the best of riders
  would have problems staying balanced with his canter. Since he was
  the first horse I had really ridden, I didn't know, I thought it was
  totally my inability to ride at a canter. With Skipper, the
  Trakehner, I learned to love to canter. I still don't know how many
  total different canter gaits she has, every time I asked her for
  more she'd just shift gears and go faster, but always smooth as
  glass. So think about whether you have trouble riding one horse or
  all at a canter.

--
Steve McIlree & Cynthia Madden -- Pferd, Keyah, Skipper, Tank -- Omaha,
Nebraska, USA