This message is from: "Lynn Mohr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Friday, July 09, 1999 3:37 PM
Subject: boarding blues

>This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>Hi All-
>
>Another problem with my boarding stable. This time I'm leaving for good
(last
>problem I only threatened). I would like your opinions on this situation:
>
>A few days ago one of my horses got out of his stall and apparently ate
feed
>and chewed on a saddle & bridle, as well as pooped all over the barn. The
>stable owner came after me like gangbusters the next day, saying I am
>responsible for "severe damage" and things like that. I was in no mood to
>talk to her, and I was in a hurry, so I left. However, the more I thought
>about it the more mad I got. I wondered,
>
>1) Why was the stall not secure?
>2) Why was valuable tack sitting out in the open?
>3) Why was feed stored in the open?
>4) Why was I not called immediately when it was discovered that my horse
had
>ingested large amounts of feed and possibly leather from the tack? I left
the
>barn at 5PM, the owner found the mess at 8AM. That means the horses were
>unattended for 15 hours.
>
>Brigid in CA, where we are actually having a summer this year : )

You say the horses were untended for 15 hours, does that mean you were the
last one out of the barn?  If so than you must have not closed the stall
securily.  If that is so you are probably responsibile for damages.

Is a stable  owner supposed to check the horses during the night as a
regular routine?