This message is from: "Cindy Vallecillo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I have a situation that I need some advise on.

My fjord has week feet, thin hoof walls to be exact.  The farrier who has
cared for his feet for five years told me before I bought him that part of
the problem was lack of exercise.

This past year his feet have been improving.  The amount of growth between
shoeings has increased and they have been less brittle.

Today my farrier told me his feet have become really brittle, to quote him
like dead tree trucks and he thinks it may be nutritional.

I feed him half straight grass and half timothy.  He gets about a cup of
bran with carrots every night and on Sundays he gets a cup of barley with
carrots, these are made with warm water.  In his pan I give him hoof
supplements.

He was doing so well and now he is backsliding.

The one thing that is weird is, his barn mate, a warmblood mare, is having
the same problem with her feet (the same farrier does both their feet).  The
only thing they have in common is the bran and carrots.

Any suggestions.

Cindy Vallecillo
The Cove, Millbrae California