This message is from: Mike May <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

At 05:14 PM 2/14/01 -0900, you wrote:
This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

With the computer technology, etc. we have today, anybody can forge a
registration certificate, pedigree, etc.  I know a guy who breeds Belgians:
He bragged he could produce a believable registration certificate for any
horse.  AND he did that for one of his foals, when the gal who bought it
insisted on getting it registered.

But now try and get it transferred to yourself or someone else. That is when the seller (and forger (is that a word?)) is in trouble with the law.


Your best protection when buying a registered fjord is to know the seller,
check the registration papers, run a check on the NFHR pedigree search or
the Canadian Livestock Records CFHA data site, and if necessary, look at
the DNA typing.

Absolutely. If it is a NFHR registered (or claimed to be) horse call me and ask. I will look up the ownership records for you. If the person you are buying from doesn't have clear title to the horse you may not be able to transfer it into your name.

I don't want to cause anyone extra work or hassle but if you are unsure of the registration status of a horse withhold part of the payment pending the registration transfer to your name. If the horse you are buying isn't yet registered then hold back some $ until it is.

There are way to many breeders selling unregistered horses and letting the new owner do the registration work. This is how a lot of the horses end up not getting registered also. The process is unfamiliar to the new owner and sometimes they just don't see the value of it. If I was buying a horse I would insist that the horse be registered by the breeder. Mistakes do happen & they are not uncovered until the DNA results are back normally.

I think if a seller was trying to put one over on you, he
would be long gone before you got to the DNA question.

That is more reason why to hold back final payment until you are sure you are getting what you are paying for. If there is a big objection to this then maybe there is a problem.

There are a lot of good honest Fjord breeders in both the US and Canada, just ask around.

Yes I can't say enough good about most of our breeders. The ones I deal with on a regular basis are very honest and I can't say enough good about them.

Don't get the wrong impression about the breeders from this. The above is not just for buying a Fjord. I would hold back some on buying any horse until I knew I got what I paid for.

Mike





Reply via email to