This message is from: "Anneli Sundkvist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sandra,

In the old days here in Sweden, halters were seldom used on horses when they
were tied up in their stalls, instead a "dog-collar" was used. It's simply
called "neckring".

There are pictures of them at: http://shop.netrix.se/borjes/

Clic "grimmor" on the left, then clic "halsrem" (if that doesn't work, I can
e-mail you a pic privatley).

These are very good for horses that escape from their collars and comfortable
too since a tied-up horse have their head free. The system has been used for
many years and I don't think that the accidents have been more common for
horses tied up with "neckrings" than with ordinary halters. Neckrings were
often used for the army horses and they are still used for the horses of the
Royal stable (but they are soon moving in to box stalls all of them).

We had a fjord gelding by the Name of Eke when I worked in the fjord-camp in
the 80's. He ALWAYS escaped from his halter and had to be tied up with a neck
ring. Worked fine.

I don't know if there are any necksrings where you live, but it must be able to
have one made. If you want to, I can order one and send it to you. The leather
ones are c. $20 + $8 in shipping + packing etc + something for shipping it to
you. Nylon are much cheaper, c. $5 (depending on length), but the
shipping/packing is the same.

Regards

Anneli

Anneli Sundkvist
Department of Archaeology & Ancient History
Uppsala University
St. Eriks Torg 5
S-753 10 Uppsala
Sweden