This message is from: "Anneli Sundkvist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I agree with Jean! Let the older gelding teach the brat how things work.

I got Cider home as a weanling and Tina tried to chase him through the fence
the very first day. Cider, who has always been a very self-confident guy,
didn't mind very much - he just ran. At that time, we had a 6 yo grey dun
gelding by the name of Totte. He actually protected Cider from visious Tina the
first weeks, placing himself between her hooves and Cider!

After some time, Tina and Cider made friends (and they still are - he's 8 and
she's 16 now) and Tina, who is a really KIND horse once the new herd-member is
accepted, tolerated A LOT from the young, self-confident and VERY bratty Cider.
At that time, Totte must have decided that the youngster needed to know who was
the boss and that Cider had to learn good manners! Totte never used more
'violence' than needed, but he was very successful in his work indeed!

The funny thing is, that now when Cider's not a youngster anymore, I see so
much of Totte in him! Cider reacts just like Totte when it comes to a lot of
things, which is very good, because Totte is a very well-tempered fjordhorse.
Calm, confident and very responsive. He was also very kind to new horses and
helped them to be accepted by the herd - Cider's just the same. He actually
NEVER fights with other horses. I think he was 3 years old before he pinned his
ears back for the first time and that was when a horse new to the barn attacked
HIM! Not much choice, eh?;o)

But of course it's important to have the horses in a large field so the brat
can escape when the 'schooling' starts.

Regards

Anneli

P.S. Totte was sold 5-6 years ago and now takes care of Cider's old mama who is
23! He has a great personality and is much loved by his human family too. D.S.

Anneli Sundkvist
Department of Archaeology & Ancient History
Uppsala University
St. Eriks Torg 5
S-753 10 Uppsala
Sweden