This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Check the archives for lots of information and discussions of colic
http://www.eScribe.com/pets/fjordhorse/

The user name is again "fjordhorse" and
  the password is again "fjords_rule".

We hashed this over when Gail Russell lost her mare. Check out Steve
White's messages at that time. Also Nancy Hotovy, etc.

I have been reading all the horse magazines and journals for the last 13
years and one MAJOR topic of discussion and research every year is COLIC.
Check out the HORSE Interactive. Equus, etc.  Lots of Colic discussions.
Still no definite answers. No, they don't think rolling causes
twists.(except in the case that Jean Gayle mentioned on the horse being
shot with a pellet gun and rolling down a hill) the gut becomes hyperactive
for some reason and twists upon itself. Who knows?  Tumors, enteroliths,
lipomas, sand, lots of reasons. Tapeworms  cause blockages. (AND need
special worming treatment to get rid of them)
Damage to bloodvessels in the intestines from other worms.  Etc. Etc.

It would be so nice to be able to pinpoint a cause and know how to prevent
it, but all we can do is take care of our horses the best we can and love
them today, for tomorrow they may be gone.

Jean in Fairbanks, Alaska where the winter is mild, +20 F this morning and
we want moore snow!

>Maybe all our talk on this colic will have the Vets make a new study
>on it and tell us in laymen terms what we can do to prevent it. Some
>say early detection. I know every horse owner knows their animals and
>daily habits so we do something as soon as we see the difference in
>them and do what has to be done to get things back to normal, (the way
>they were). I hope all this information, we who have lost a horse to
>colic is sending in, is being noted by all. Is there a positive
>prevention? Tillie

Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]