This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Check the archives for lots of information and discussions of colic
http://www.eScribe.com/pets/fjordhorse/
The user name is again "fjordhorse" and
  the password is again "fjords_rule".

The problem with cold water in the winter, I think, is more that they do
not drink enough water and are prone to impaction. I keep a tank heater in
my insulated water tank here in Alaska, where it is a necessity.  Our vet
says most colics in the winter here are due to impaction from not drinking
enough water.

That said, it could well have been a gas colic.  You should have some
mineral oil on hand to give them with a dose syringe.  A stethescope is
handy to tell if there are gut sounds. This will indicate if it is gas
colic or an impaction and can be helpful information for your vet.
  You yourself can give the oil a bit at a time with the dose syringe which
will help in both gas colic and impactions. My vet said to give about a
pint every four hours.  He doesn't believe in a large volume of oil.  If
they are just laying down looking uncomfortable, this is something you can
do for them while waiting for the vet.

Massaging around the base of the ears and stroking the tips can provide
some relief for the horse also (and gives you something to do.)  Altho some
walking is good, exhausting him by walking him for hours isn't a good idea.
 Let him rest if he will lie quietly.

I'm no vet, but I think what I've suggested wouldn't interfere with the
vet's treatments and could help, but call your vet and check the archives
for all of Steve White's good advice.

Jean in still dark Fairbanks, Alaska, +5 degrees  only 5 hours daylight

 IAt 01:24 AM 11/26/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>This message is from: "Sue Harrison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>HI everyone... Storm coliced tonight.  Found him lying down on the snow at
>suppertime.  Brought him in the barn and he would not eat.  We  started
>walking him and called the vet.  The vet  turned out to be a new guy
>originally  from the Netherlands.  He is replacing one of the regular vets
>and happened to be on call tonight.  He took his temperature..(normal)....he
>gave him a shot and tubed him.  Afterwards Storm ate his portion of
>grain..but vet said no hay till morning and only after a good bowel
>movement.  I  Just checked on him at midnight and he has had a soft bowel
>movement.  He believes that drinking icy cold water (our weather finally
>turned cold this past week)  probably caused this.  What do you think?  Does
>anyone really know what causes colic?  He suggested giving him warmish water
>in the morning before he gets a chance to drink the cold stuff.  Our water
>supply for him is an overflow from an artesian well.  Do most of you use
>heater coils in your water tubs or feed cold water?
>
>Do any of you carry mortality insurance on your horses?  Could I get it on
>Storm where he has had this one episode of colic or belly ache...or would
>that matter?  Just wondering.....This tummy ache episode has really got me
>worried.  Thankfully, he did not show too much discomfort.  He did  pass
>some gas and had a bit of a loose bowel movement before the vet got here.
>Does this seem to be true  colic symptoms?  Lying down, not eating and
>passing gas...also he did  bite and kick at his sides..  not a whole lot but
>some.....but other than that did not seem to be suffering too much.  We had
>him out and walked him an hour and a half after the vet left and he seemed
>lively and normal...sure hope the worst is over.  The vet seemed to think it
>might have been gas...is that classed as colic?  Anyhow goodnite .  I will
>keep everyone informed....say a prayer.   Sue, (Desert Storms mom}

Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]