This message is from: carol j makosky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sue Harrison wrote:

> This message is from: "Sue Harrison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> HI everyone... Storm coliced tonight.  Found him lying down on the snow at
> suppertime.  Brought him in the barn and he would not eat.  We  started
> walking him and called the vet.  The vet  turned out to be a new guy
> originally  from the Netherlands.  He is replacing one of the regular vets
> and happened to be on call tonight.  He took his temperature..(normal)....he
> gave him a shot and tubed him.  Afterwards Storm ate his portion of
> grain..but vet said no hay till morning and only after a good bowel
> movement.  I  Just checked on him at midnight and he has had a soft bowel
> movement.  He believes that drinking icy cold water (our weather finally
> turned cold this past week)  probably caused this.  What do you think?  Does
> anyone really know what causes colic?  He suggested giving him warmish water
> in the morning before he gets a chance to drink the cold stuff.  Our water
> supply for him is an overflow from an artesian well.  Do most of you use
> heater coils in your water tub

Hi,
I only have one horse and have a heated water bucket for her.  When I do fill
it, which is 2 or 3 times a day, I put in very warm water.  I know she drinks
more when it is warm.  I do have insurance on her.  I insured her for shipping
to me and decided to keep it up since I am a new horse owner.  My insurance will
cover her for another 4 yr.  They only insure up to age 15.  I'm not sure what I
will do after that.  I am glad Storm is better and hope I never come out to see
Heidi showing signs of colic.

--
"Built FJORD tough"
Carol M.